The new Subclass 494 skilled employer sponsored visa has replaced the old 187 (RSMS) visa since 16 November 2019. Approximately 9,000 positions have been allocated to this new visa subclass.
But, unlike the 187 RSMS visa, this new visa subclass 494 does not grant you an immediate permanent residency. As a 494 visa holder, you can apply for permanent residency only after completing 3 years from the time your 494 visa is granted.
What are the benefits of the new Subclass 494 Visa?
- You can apply for the Australian Permanent Residence Visa without going through the second stage of the nomination, if eligible via the 191 visa subclass
- The entirety of Australia has been re-classed as regional areas of Australia for migratory use (except for Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane)
- Migrants in all the regional areas become eligible for Medicare, which in turn lowers the living cost for families along with free education for children
- Applicants get 5 additional points for regional nomination
- Applicants can have access to the ROL (Regional Occupation List), which has more jobs in comparison to non-regional occupation lists
- Live, study and work in any designated Australia regional area for up to 5 years (except Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane)
- Travel outside Australia indefinitely till the validity of your visa
- Include your family members in your application during the submission
- Add your dependent child, even after submitting your visa application (But, before the authorities take a final decision)
Cost to apply for a Subclass 494 Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Visa
The below table can better explain to you the cost that is applicable:
For each dependent 18 years and over
For each dependent under 18 years
Any dependent applicants who are 18 years and over, but do not have functional English ability
English language tests, health checks, police certificates, and biometrics.
From where you can apply for 494 subclass visa
- You can apply in or outside Australia
- While applying, you must hold any of the following visas otherwise your application will become invalid:
- a Bridging visa A, B or C, or
- a substantive visa
What are the eligibility requirements to apply for the 494 subclass visa?
- You must age below 45 years at the time of submitting a visa application
- You must provide proof of English Competency at the time of submitting a visa application
- You must have a nomination from an employer whose operates a lawful business in Australia
- Before applying, your employer must lodge a nomination application for you
- You must show your skills, qualifications and work experience that is required to perform the designated occupation
- You must have employment in the nominated occupation with a minimum 3 years of full-time work experience at the skill level necessary for the nominated occupation.
- You should have a positive skills assessment
- You and any family members must meet the health and character requirements
- You must not have any visa canceled or application refused in past
- You must have paid back any debt you own to the government of Australia
- If you are 16 years or older, then you must have read the Life in Australia booklet and sign the Values Statement of Australia that confirms that you will always respect the way of life Australia leads and obey the laws of Australia.
What is the step-by-step process to apply for the new 494 subclass visa?
- Before applying for the visa:
- Get your skills assessment done to prove your skills and qualifications
- You show English competency by undertaking an English language proficiency test
- Undergo medical examinations before or after applying for the visa
- Ensure that your employer has submitted your nomination form and accordingly provide you your nomination Transaction Reference Number
- Gather all the relevant documents, including:
- a national identity card
- name change proof (if applicable)
- a marriage or divorce certificate
- Age exemption documents
- Skills and qualifications documents (Skill Assessment, CV, employment references)
- English language documents
- Partner documents
- Dependent documents
- Apply for the visa:
- You have to apply online in your ImmiAccount by logging in or creating an ImmiAccount
- Then attach your relevant documents
- Make payment for the visa application fee
- Note your Transaction Reference Number
What is the processing time for the new 494 subclass visa?
All the applications are assessed as per the case-by-case basis, and the processing time for each application can vary depending upon individual scenarios, which includes:
- whether an applicant has lodged an accurate and complete application, with all the required documents or not
- how quickly an applicant gives the response in terms of providing any additional information as requested by the authorities
- how quickly an applicant completes the required medical and character checks
Are you willing to migrate to Australia on the most suitable visa category?
Fill out our Free Assessment Form to confirm your eligibility
Yes, the foremost step is to get your profile assessed by our team of immigration experts at Australia PR Avenue. You can also drop your queries and concerns at email@example.com