Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa has replaced the old 489 Visa (Skilled Regional) back in 2019. This Visa allows skilled workers to move to Australia and work for an approved employer for a maximum five years.
With this visa, an applicant can stay in Australia for 5 years, live, work and study in any regional area of Australia and travel to and from Australia as and when he or she wants, till the validity lasts.
Processing cost of Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa
Find below the latest visa fee for this visa:
Base application charge
Additional applicant charge 18 and over
Additional applicant charge under 18
* New Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa Subclass 491
Note: The visa fee is subject to change/revise periodically by the government. Please contact Visas Avenue immigration expert for the status of latest visa fee before applying.
Apart from the above-mentioned visa fee, you also have to make payment for health checks, biometrics, and police certificates, etc.
What is the processing time of Subclass 491 visa?
Find below the latest processing time for this visa:
25% of visas processed
50% of visas processed
75% of visas processed
90% of visas processed
491 - Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 491)
State/Territory Government Nominated Regional
Factors that affect the processing time
The processing time of a visa application can vary based on various factors, such as,
- Accuracy of submitted application
- Accuracy and completeness of documents submitted along with the visa application
- Time taken to answer any query asked by the immigration officer
- Occupation of an applicant and its demand in Australia
- Points scored by the applicant in SkillSelect online system based on key selection factors, i.e. age, education, work experience, language proficiency in English or French, etc.
- Time obtained by the office in the background verification process, etc.
Benefits of Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa
With this visa, you can avail the benefits listed below:
- Enjoy priority processing for your visa with the Department of Home Affairs
- You’ll get 15 points for your state nomination or family member sponsorship towards the Department of Home Affairs points test
- You will have access to an extensive occupation list
- You can travel in and outside Australia many times till the visa validity period
- You can work in for any employer in any occupation
- If you meet the work and residence requirements of Australia, then you can become eligible to apply for Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191)
Eligibility requirements for Visa Subclass 491
In order to become eligible to apply for this new visa subclass 491, an applicant must:
- Age 45 years or below
- Have a minimum 3 years of work experience
- Have a relevant occupation on a skilled occupation list
- Complete a valid skill assessment
- Show English competency
- Meet the character and health requirements
Application process for Visa Subclass 491
Find the step-by-step process to apply for the new visa subclass 491:
Before submitting EOI
Before applying, you have to submit an EOI (expression of interest) via SkillSelect to let the immigration authorities know your intentions to apply for this visa subclass.
Before submitting an EOI, check whether your occupation is listed on the eligible skilled occupations combined list of for a Skilled Regional (subclass 491) visa. If you obtain minimum points, a territory or state government will nominate you for this visa and will send you an invitation to apply.
If you are already sponsored by any of your eligible relatives then you will get an invitation to apply in the next invitation round.
Get your skills assessed at the time you get an invitation to apply. Your assessment must be done by an assessing authority.
Submit an EOI
You have to submit an EOI through SkillSelect from within or outside Australia. Please note, it is not a visa application and no fee is applicable to submit an EOI.
You have to choose the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) Invited pathway and after submission, you will get a confirmation e-mail.
After submitting EOI SkillSelect will review your profile and calculate your points on the basis of the information mentioned by you. You must score a minimum 65 points to get an ITA for this visa.
Gather all the relevant documents
You are required to gather and submit all the accurate and authentic documents to support the information provided in your EOI.
Documents Requirements for Visa Subclass 491:
- Skills assessment documents
- Identity documents
- Relationship documents
- Competent English documents
- Character documents
- Partner documents
- Dependants under or over 18 documents
- Translated documents (if any)
- Scanned copy and photographs
Apply for the visa
After getting an ITA, you may apply online in ImmiAccount
You have a maximum of 60 days’ time to submit a complete application along with relevant documents from the date of your ITA.
After applying for Visa
Once the immigration department receives your application, they will send you a notification via email. Upon granting you a bridging visa you will again get a visa grant notification on email.
You will get the following details from the authorities:
- your visa grant number
- your visa conditions, if applicable
- the date your visa starts
You must keep a decision copy with you for reference purposes.
Please note, in case of visa refusal, you will get notified along with:
- A reason for visa refusal
- A message that whether you can review the decision or not
New point system for Australian immigration
With the new visa subclass 491, a new points system has been implemented from 16th November 2019.
This new system is applicable to new 491 Skilled visa applications.
Find the details below:
15 points- If you have sponsorship by a family member living in a regional area of Australia or nomination by a Territory or State government
10 points- If you have a skilled spouse or de facto partner
10 points- If you have certain STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) qualifications
5 points- If your spouse or de facto partner who is competent in English
10 points- If you don t have any spouse or de facto partner
How this visa can lead to a permanent visa?
The Visa Subclass 491 is a five-year, temporary visa. You can apply for a permanent residence visa via Subclass 191 (Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional)) visa if you meet the following conditions:
You have lived, studied or worked in the designated regional Australian area for minimum 3 years as a 491 visa holder
If you have minimum annual earnings of $53,900 for 3 years. If your partner is also included in the visa 491 application, then only a person can show an annual salary of 3 years via tax returns at or above $53,900.
Do you wish to apply for New Visa Subclass 491 or any other PR visa category and immigrate to Australia? Connect with Australia PR Avenue today!
For any queries or concerns, just fill this Free Visa Assessment Form or you can drop us an email at email@example.com. We are happy to help and guide you through the entire Australia PR visa application process.