The Minister for Immigration, Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs David Coleman announced a new temporary parent sponsored visa. It is designed to allow the parents of an immigrant to spend a long time with their children in Australia and is expected to accept applications from 1st July 2019.
This Sponsored Parent (Temporary) subclass 870 visa provides grandparents and parents a new pathway to reunite with their immigrant children and spend time with them for a continuous period of up to 5 years.
They also get an opportunity to renew their visa for the next 5 years after a short period outside Australia. It means that grandparents and parents can spend up to 10 long years in Australia. Once they have used both the visas, they will have to leave Australia.
This highly anticipated Australian Subclass 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa is available since 17th April 2019 and can be processed in 2 stages, where the child has to be an approved sponsor before applying visa for their parents. Since 17th April 2019, it has been allowed for children to lodge sponsorship applications for their parents who are planning to lodge their visa applications from 1st July 2019.
This visa is intended to serve as an alternative to the existing short-term visitor s visa and the department is hoping that this new temporary Parent visa will further ease the pressure put on the existing permanent Parent visa.
Total number of places available in Subclass 870 Sponsored Parent Visa
From 1 July to 30 June, approximately 15,000 visas will be granted every year under this visa program. This 15,000 cap is pre-defined by the Government of Australia to address the issues of an aging population and overall budget impact of aging immigrants.
This limit also reflects the priority of Government for providing visa pathways for partners and children of Australians, as well as the targeting needs of young skilled migrants for maximizing the economic benefits of immigration.
It is also made clear that in case the cap is reached in a year, no further visas will be issued until the next year that commences on 1st July.
Skipping the family balance test
Unlike other existing permanent Parent visas, the new temporary parent visa doesn t have a Balance of Family Test requirement. It means that a visa applicant is not restricted to have at least half of his/her children living in Australia.
Application process explained for New Temporary Parent Visa
- Once a parent sponsorship application is approved, a sponsored parent can apply for a Subclass 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa.
- Visa application has to be lodged within 6 months after sponsorship approval
- A couple can sponsor only 2 parents at a time
Visa Fees for New parent Visa Subclass 870
The number of visa fees for new parent visa Subclass 870is AUD$ 5,000 for the three-year visa, AUD$ 10,000 for five-year visa and a further AUD$ 10,000 are required for a five-year extension.
The visa application fee is payable in two separate installments. One payment is made at the time of application and the second is paid before the visa grant.
Processing time New Parent Visa Subclass 870
Processing times dependents on a number of factors, like the total number of lodging applications and whether an applicant has provided the required information with their application or not.
Working rights to Parents
Visa holders are generally subjected to a “no work” condition. There will be no working rights available for the parents sponsored via this visa.
Eligibility requirements for Parents
To be eligible for the new parent visa, a parent has to be:
- the biological, step-parent or adoptive parent of the sponsor (the step-parent has to be in a married/de facto relationship with sponsor s biological parent)
- free from any public health debts or Commonwealth debts
- holder of Australian private health insurance
Eligibility requirements for Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 870)
- sponsors must have minimum $83,454.80taxable income
- sponsor s age has to be 18 years of above
- has to be an Australian citizen, an eligible New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident who has been residing in Australia for a minimum time period of 4 years before lodging the visa application
- Sponsors have to meet any prior sponsorship obligations
- Must have a minimum household income threshold
- Must provide police clearances from a country where they live for more than 12 months altogether in the last 10 years
- Sponsor has to show proof of funds that he/she can financially support their parent s accommodation and living
- A parent sponsor is required to meet the following obligations:
- Maintaining records and providing to the Department as and when asked, like evidence of income.
- advising the Department when certain events occur like they are charged for a crime
- paying outstanding public health debts that are incurred by their parent living in Australia
- What happens if an obligation is breached?
- The department cancels the sponsorship
- The department bars the sponsors from sponsoring further parents for a set time period
To apply for a new sponsored parent visa, connect with Australia PR Avenue
If you would like to know out more about the new Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa or discuss the potential options for your Parent Visa, You can call us @ 78-18-000-777 or Fill this Free Visa Assessment Form and one of our immigration experts will get back to you shortly. Also you can send us an e-mail to email@example.com